Lately I’ve been a huge fan of chickpea patties. It’s an easy vegetarian meal that is low in calories and is super tasty! Through trial and error I came up with a recipe that is not only flavorful and moist, it leaves your patties with an almost crispy crust. YUM!
P.S. no blender or food processor required for this recipe, but definitely a plus.
Didn’t take a finished product picture because…well…we ate them before I could. 😦
- 2 Cans of Chickpeas
- 1/4 cup of parsley
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- sprinkle of salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Olive Oil for frying
- Drain the chickpeas. Rinse and drain again.
- In a large bowl pour the chickpea and begin to mash with a fork or potato mashed. (make sure to leave almost no chickpeas whole)
- Dice 1/4 of a red onion and set aside
- add the seasonings (parsley,)
- incorporate the egg and mix well, then the diced onion.
- Add the flour and mix.
- Cover the bowl with lid or saran wrap and leave in the refrigerator for about 1 hour to give it time to stiffen a bit.
- Once the hour has passed you can heat the olive oil on the skillet on medium heat.
- Grab your chickpea mixture once your oil is ready and begin forming patties. Try not to make them too large as it makes it difficult to flip.
- You want to fry them until they are a crispy brown on eat side.
Tip: Keep a plate close by to place the patties as they finish frying.
These patties go great with roasted carrots and potatoes. Feel free to use any type of sauce with these.
P.S. I will update with the picture when I make them this weekend!